Sunday, November 12, 2006

Bound By Blood Review for Rites of Romance


Bound By Blood
by T.C. Lotempio
Whiskey Creek Press

Top New York investigative reporter Leigh Hartley is a recently divorced mother who is trying to make the right decisions for her and her teenage daughter, Rory. When she inherits an old manor that's been in her family for centuries, she figures it's a good opportunity for her and Rory to get away from the big city and start fresh. What she doesn't realize is that the estate comes with attachments more pressing than the six months Leigh is required to live there in order to complete the inheritance.

Paul Devlin is a detective on the hunt for a serial killer. Unfortunately for him he lives in a town where they believe that spirits and ghost stories actually do come true. What's worse is he's not so good with ghost stories.

Leigh and Rory Hartley find that Coltonville is a whole lot more interesting than they'd initially anticipated, and not necessarily in a good way. No one in town is who or what they seem to be. Who can they trust? Can they even trust their own intuition? In a race against time they will discover the key to the killer is in their own house and in their ancestry.

I'm not sure my blurb for this story does it justice. Frankly, I didn't know what to include because there is so much going on in this book, and for once it is a good thing. I think my heart rate was kept at an accelerated pace during the entire book, in fact, it probably increased as I read further. The suspense and spine-tingling effect of Bound by Blood is really that good. While I sort-of guessed who the killer was, I changed my mind quite a few times and even then I didn't expect the ending, although I guess I did in a way. Now I'm sure that is a confusing sentence but you will have to read the book to understand.

Honestly, this book was excellent and I don't normally read books about spirits and witches. Frankly, I don't appreciate going to bed completely scared, which I did after reading this book. It wasn't scary in a "boo" kind of way but it was frightening nonetheless. The only bad thing I can say about this is that it head-hopped quite a few times and there was a thread of information between Rory and her father that I would have liked to have seen resolved because stuff like that should not be left undone. Despite this I have to give this story a Full Moon because as a suspense novel it absolutely hits the mark. If you are looking for a suspenseful tale, a battle between good and evil and a romance all wrapped together, then you need look no further than Bound by Blood.

I gave this a Full Moon (highest rating available for Rites of Romance Reviews)

Labels: