Sunday, November 12, 2006

I Did (But I wouldn't Now) Review for Rites of Romance


I Did (But I Wouldn't Now)
by Cara Lockwood
Downtown Press

Lily Crandell is separated from her crazy rock-star husband only to find herself in trouble for some of things she did in retaliation. She flees to London to avoid seeing photos and hear constant news of her ex and his silicone filled actress/girlfriend. The only problem is she wasn't quite supposed to leave the country.

In London Lily hides in the flat of an ex-boyfriend, now best friend, who has commitment issues of his own. Add to the mix a high-flying soccer stud who thinks he's God's gift to women, a totally deranged stalker girl, a hugely pregnant sister who thinks her husband is cheating and a tiny dog with incontinence and you have a lot of fun packed into one novel.

When I first started reading this book I wasn't quite sure I liked Lily Crandell, as she herself admits, she is a bad person. However, you look beyond some of her deeds and see the reasons and you have to agree that there are times any one of us would love to retaliate the way she does. Most of us don't actually follow through but, like reading any of the tabloids, it's a guilty pleasure we'd love to act on if only just once. So, in the end I was cheering for her because really, even though she'd made bad choices, she did it mostly from love (I think). I also loved the story between Lily and her old flame. Who among us hasn't longed for that friend to become something more?

I Did (But I Wouldn't Now) is a truly delightful read and as I headed towards the home stretch I was actually laughing out loud at some of the antics. If you want an entertaining story that will make you forget about your own problems I highly recommend this one. As far as chick lit goes this is one of the best I've read.

I gave this a Full Moon (the best rating available on Rites of Romance)

Labels: