Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Trouble with Paradise by Jill Shalvis


(sorry, borrowing the blurb from the book for this one, due to time constraints this time)
When Dorie Anderson meets a cute guy, she becomes a huge klutz. But one phone call has turned her dead-end dating life into an adventure: she's won a trip on a singles' cruise to Fiji. On board, she soon meets pro baseball player Andy, and the ship's hunky French doctor. She's sure she'll fall head-over-heels in no time. Unfortunately, she's right: soon, she trips over her luggage right in front of them. Mortifying. But a bigger disaster is just on the horizon. Dorie finds a man murdered in his bunk the same night a storm wrecks the ship, stranding everyone on a deserted shore. It'd be a perfect setting for romance-if it weren't for the fact that there's a killer among them.

I had trouble with this book. I didn't particularly like Dorie or the hero much. Every time I started to like Dorie, something else made me cringe. I get that she's supposed to be clutzy and tongue-tied around cute guys, but it's the choices she makes that I mostly don't like.

The story wasn't horrible by any means, and in some ways it was very entertaining. Ms. Shalvis did a great job with the sex scenes and also with the tension during the storm and other suspensful scenes. I just had a lot of trouble suspending disbelief for various parts throughout the book and the ending seemed slightly convoluted. Or maybe that's only because this reader didn't buy-in previously.

While I waffle back and forth on my feelings on this book I can clearly see it as movie of the week material. I didn't have a lot of emotional investment in the characters or plot, but didn't find it an entire waste of time either.

I give this a 3

Labels: