Wednesday, March 07, 2007

In For the Kill, Review for GottaWrite Network


In for the Kill
By Betty Sullivan La Pierre
SynergEbooks

ISBN: 0-7443-1284-1
Mystery
165 pages
2007, $5.98


Tom Casey, aka Hawkman, is leading a new life under a new name. It has been a long time since anyone has known him as Jim Anderson. When he and his wife, Jennifer, receive a threatening message for Jim Anderson on their answering machine they are immediately concerned. The last time he went by that name he was with The Agency.

Tom contacts his old boss to see if they are able to make any kind of connection as to who might be harassing them. Unfortunately, the harassment escalates, people are hurt, vehicles are stolen and Tom and Jennifer's house is lit on fire. What starts out as one P.I. and his wife investigating, turns to the local sherrifs and then the entire County's law enforcement members.

Tom and his wife, Jennifer, seem to have an easy relationship and the addition of Miss Marple as their new kitty adds a new, if sometimes too encompassing, dimension. The action starts off pretty quickly and their suspect is pretty wily which increases the tension right away. I especially liked the buildup from the first incident of a car being run off the road to finding Hawkman in his office parking lot.

I believed the original antagonist, Jack Hargrove, and his reasonings behind his original pursuit of vengeneance against Hawkman. What I didn’t believe was his flip flopping change of heart once Jack's stepson arrived. One minute he was deranged and the next he thought his stepson was going too far and that he had been manipulated. Then he'd go back to the "ok, I'll hang in with you and do the deed." It just didn't make sense to me and I had trouble suspending disbelief pretty much from the point where they met up.

I haven't read any of the other books in this series but the book is fairly stand alone, other than a few references to characters where I had no idea who they were. I found this mystery to be pleasant. While I was not entirely able to connect and thrown myself into it too deeply it was a nice read.

I give it a 3

Labels: