Saturday, February 10, 2007

Seven of Cups Review for RORR



Seven of Cups by Joanna K. Moore
Triskelion Publishing

Izzy MacPherson seems to have trouble keeping her boyfriends alive. After the second one in a year is killed she starts to think she is cursed. And she should know, she comes from a family of famous witches. She’s been avoiding her own legacy for years, although her senses are telling her it’s time to get on board, and she’s not who she thinks she is. In her search for a killer, Izzy finds herself, can she find love too?

Eric Baxter is the crime novelist who arrives to take on the case of the murders from a year before. Originally determined to paint the MacPherson sisters as the culprits behind the real murderer he starts to realize everything he knew about Izzy was all wrong. Now instead of wanting to put her away he wants to keep her away from all who are trying to harm her. If only she’d let him.

When I started to read the Seven of Cups I wasn’t that appreciative of the first chapter, in fact I was already thinking about how I was going to rate this book. That was a mistake. In fact the parallels between my assumptions of that first chapter and the assumptions made about the heroine, Izzy MacPherson, are uncanny.

I truly enjoyed this book. The more I read the more I wanted to read. Written in the first person the reader enters Izzy’s heart and mind and grows as she grows. We see how she goes from girl that just wants to have a good time to the girl who is ready to become a woman and take on the world and save those that she loves. Eric Baxter is hot and, although I would have liked to see him fleshed out a bit more (which is hard to do when the story is written in first person I know), a wonderful accompaniament to Izzy.

The secondary characters in this book are also well done and make me now want to go back and read the first book. I didn’t know this was a series and this book certainly stands alone but I had an inkling there must be another one and I was happy to find out I was right.

If you are looking for a romantic paranormal with suspense then you should pick up Seven of Cups. You won’t be disappointed.

I give it a 4

Labels: