Monday, April 09, 2007

On the Edge, for BE Reviews

On the Edge by Shannon Stacey

Samhain Publishing

Tony Casavetti is due for some extended time off. He has just finished an assignment where he was ousted by the bad guys a little sooner than he expected where his trusty assistant over the com port, Charlotte Rhames, helped him get through it all in one piece. Before getting his time off, however, he needs to attend an important meeting of the Devlin Group, the privately owned rogue-agency that he works for. He is looking forward to the getting together with the Devlin Group if only to finally meet Charlotte whose voice he has dreamed of for over eight years. While his mental picture of Charlotte is not very flattering he thinks her voice is sexy as hell. Meeting Charlotte and attending the Devlin Group function sets of all sorts of explosions.

Charlotte Rhames has been the Executive Administrator for the Devlin Group for a lot of years. She’s met many of the agents but none of them pulled her like Tony Casavetti. She is hoping that the two of them could turn their vocal parry into something more physical after the tête a tête but unfortunately, when their world is rocked in more ways than one she has to make things right. As she heads back into a world she thought she’d never turn to again she does it with Tony by her side. Charlotte isn’t a trained field agent but this assignment is more personal and she’s the only one who can get close to the man who set off the attack on the Devlin Group. When all the tremors stop, will there be any chance for Tony and Charlotte?

I have been waiting for this book for a very long time. I loved 72 Hours, which was the first book in this series. I couldn’t wait to see the next book. In fact I had it in my mind that it would be Gallagher’s story. I wasn’t expecting this one. My disappointment did not last long, however, because this book kicked butt. From the very start the pacing was on and didn’t let you out of its grip.

I loved the build up to the meet between Tony and Charlotte. I mean, yeah, I knew she was obviously not going to be a grandma but, whoa, she was hotter than anyone would expect, least of all Tony and I loved that he was surprised like that. He seemed a bit cocky and that threw him for a loop. Both Tony and Charlotte’s backgrounds were built into the story so that you were able to understand their actions and reactions. The sparks between the two were evident from the beginning but it was easy to understand how they couldn’t just be together immediately.

There are some truly shocking moments in this story and my heart was thumping as I wondered how far it would go. I was right there with Tony in thinking this couldn’t be happening. I was right there with a heavy heart, hurting for both of them. It was powerful. I don’t really want to get into what this was because it is something the reader must experience to understand but it was very well done and very awkward to get around. Ms. Stacey handled it brilliantly, in my opinion.

Some books are easier to write a synopsis of than others. There are things that happen in this book that made me cringe and things I can’t disclose in the review without giving away more than I want to. I just truly believe you need to read this book. Then re-read it. It is good and if I tell you more than that, it will spoil it.

I will now start my letter writing campaign to Ms. Stacey about the third installment in this series. Surely she must have them all written and is just torturing us with the wait for the next one?

I give this a 5

Labels: