Monday, March 19, 2007

The Last Thing I Expected, Review for Gotta Write Network


Title: The Last Thing I Expected

Author: Heather Rae Scott

Publisher: Samhain Publishing

ISBN: ISBN: 1-59998-028-2

Genre: Contemporary Romantic Comedy

Length: 83 pages

Publishing Date: 2006

Cost: $5.50

Grace Adams believes she is cursed. She has bad luck with men and things in her life are always going wrong but a mother of one of her students gave her a simple ceremony to perform to make it all right again. Unfortunately, the ceremony involved fire and Grace used a coffee can with paint thinner in it as her receptacle.

There’s nothing like a small explosion and the smell of smoke to bring a fire fighter running. Eddie Mancilla isn’t any ordinary fireman either. He’s the big hunk of Grace’s high school dreams less a lot of the weight he used to carry. He was always saving her hide in high school but never dreamed a popular girl like her would be interested in an overweight guy like him. Though the years had changed Eddie physically, he is now buff and brawny, mentally he is still the poor overweight guy in love with the girl he thought he could never have.

Grace liked Eddie in high school and she likes him now but she’s not willing to bring him into her cursed and crazy life and he’s decided that a career as chief firefighter is more important than being hooked up. Can these two look beyond their past and see that the future they could have would be so much brighter together?

Right from the start I liked this book. Grace and her two good friends reminded me of myself and my best friend. When we get together who knows what’s going to happen – it’s all heartfelt talks, zaniness and giggling. Ms. Scott described all of this perfectly. I loved that Gracie was, all at once, ditzy and smart, helpless and feisty.

I also enjoyed the hero, Eddie Mancilla, a lot. It isn’t often that we see the overweight boy turning into the buff man – usually in romances it is the woman who’s transformed herself. Eddie is written as tough and vulnerable and I adored him. I wanted to crawl into his arms myself, and stay there! I’ve got friends from large Italian families, who are firefighters no less, and the description of Eddie and his family and the way they interact was dead on.

If you are looking for love, laughter and heartfelt warmth then this is the book for you.

I give it 4.5 Red Strings out of 5

Labels: