Monday, May 21, 2007

Burning Reflections by Rachel Carrington

Title: Burning Reflections

Author: Rachel Carrington

Publisher: Samhain Publishing

ISBN: 1-59998-373-7

Genre: Romantic Suspense

Length: 179 pages

Publishing Date: 2006

When attorney Morgan Hennessey keeps turning down dates from a mild-mannered colleague, Dexter Canfield, little does she know that within him lurks the heart of a psycho who likes to play with fire. After he plays with his favourite blow torch game Morgan ends up in the hospital for quite some time, scarred both physically and emotionally. Since the psycho got away Morgan’s not sure where to turn and her ex-husband’s arms are awfully tempting. He’s the sheriff of her home town and she is desperate to feel safe.

Evan Hennessey has been missing Morgan since the minute she left. They had been best friends for twenty-odd years and when their marriage went south they promised they would still be friends. He wanted more than friendship and with a killer after Morgan, Evan would stop at nothing to keep her safe. So he brought her home. Determined to protect her, and remind her why they were good together, Evan never suspected the killing spree that would lead Dexter to their door.

Can Evan prove that he still loves Morgan and that her scars don’t change who she is? Will he be able to protect both Morgan and his townspeople without any more casualties? Or will Dexter allude him as he has alluded so many others and in the process destroy a love that was never meant to die?

This book started off with a heart-pounding weird feeling that lets you know things are not going to go well for the heroine. I think I sat forward in my chair as I read the first chapter. What happened was not what I expected and I think I actually gasped out loud.

Ms. Carrington has written a brilliantly evil character in Dexter Canfield. One who likes to play with fire but not really as your typical arsonist. He’d rather burn people than buildings, although I don’t think he really discriminates a lot (well, I guess he does decide that hookers aren’t worth eliminating so that must count for something!) His character is well fleshed out and he gave me goose bumps.

I also loved the relationship between the hero and heroine, although I would have liked to see more reasoning behind why Morgan really left Evan in the first place. There was some answers but it didn’t really satisfy me. They seemed perfect together and I guess I needed more of a reason to believe she would just walk away from that. Maybe it was that I needed more info on him being a Navy SEAL and some kind of undercover cop in New York. That was only handled very briefly so I didn’t get a sense of what that was all about.

Other than that I loved this book. I liked all of the characters, found the love story real, and the suspense was very well-done.


I give it 4.5 Flames (Review for Gotta Write Network)

Labels: