Saturday, April 14, 2007

Rises the Night, Review for Romance Divas


RISES THE NIGHT

By::Colleen Gleason

Signet Eclipse, 2007

A Historical Paranormal

Lady Victoria Gardella is a vampire slayer who is dealing with her own heartbreak and tragedy. When she takes her anger and despair a little too far one night, she decides to take a step back and re-focus on better learning her skills and control. It's a good thing she does because there is a new evil rising up as a very powerful vampire gains control over the ultimate weapon to control the souls of the dead. It could mean the end of the Venators and thousands, if not millions, of people.

With the not so trustworthy, but still attractive, Sebastian Vioget, by her side, she heads across Europe for the final showdown in Italy. Unfortunately, it is there that she witnesses the ultimate deceit by a former ally

Having not read The Rest Falls Away but hearing good things about it, I decided to give this book a chance. Honestly, I would not have normally picked up a historical but the description was just too interesting to pass by. I'm so glad that I made that decision. Rises the Night is a fantastic account of this lady, vampire slayer and her family. I love the way Ms. Gleason gives us history, along with action, humour along with angst.

The women of Rises the Night intrigued me. Even though Lady Victoria can obviously kick some major vampire butt, she is still tender and unsure of herself. Her losses, her loves, all come in to play in her reactions. I wouldn't have pegged her for as young as she was because she seemed so mature, but she had already seen so much in her short life. Aunt Eustacia was marvelously written. I could picture her clearly in my mind and I really liked her. She's someone I wouldn't mind having in my family, that's for sure. I wonder if we will learn more about the mysterious Wayren

I found Rises the Night to be an easy read that has many levels of complexity and information. I didn't need to read The Rest Falls Away as it stood alone fine on its own. I will, however, be buying it since I now want to collect this series. Congratulations Ms. Gleason you turned this non-historical romance lover into a believer! I look forward to more of the Gardella Vampire Chronicles.

5 Kisses

Labels: