Thursday, December 28, 2006

A Sight to Dream of Review for WCP

A Sight to Dream of (Oberon: Book 2)

Wild Child Publishing.com
© 2006

Title: A Sight to Dream of (Oberon: Book 2)
Author: P.G. Forte
Publisher: SynergEbooks
ISBN: 0-7443-0728-7
Genre: Paranormal Romantic Suspense
Length: Long Novel
Release Date: 2004
Author's Website: P.G. Forte

Things are different in Oberon. Sometimes things happen in such a way as to be far more than just coincidence. Unfortunately, Sam Sterling is new to town and he hasn't learned that yet.

Arriving in Oberon on his motorcycle Sam is a man trying to hide from a killer. When the local reporter ends up dead at the exact spot he was designated to meet her, Sam is pretty sure his partner has figured out where he is and has sent a killer. He has no idea that the local psychic will be his saving grace, nor the angel from a photo he saw, come to life.

Marsha Quinn is a bit of an oddity, her psychic abilities came to her after a nearly life ending accident left her scarred and broken. When she sees Sam looking at her as if he knows her she is not too surprised, although she is not sure why. She only knows that she is willing to vouch for him when a body turns up dead.

I really enjoyed this book from P.G. Forte. It had unusual characters as the leads and I liked that. No cookie cutter heroes and heroines here as both Marsha and Sam are uniquely gifted in both abilities and looks. I like that Marsha is scarred and psychic and that Sam still finds her attractive and sexy. I even like that he is a bit put off by her abilities because I think that's the way most of us are...we don't really want to believe in the paranormal and yet we are still drawn to it. Sam is not the typical tall, dark, Alpha male, and in fact that the author gave him silver hair which made me smile, for it is not often used with heroes as far as I'm aware. Little touches, like making him a brilliant man able to read special stock market coding to see trends but yet still stand and watch a flock of birds or find beauty in a scene, make him more real. Often corporately brilliant men are depicted as cold and unfeeling and Sam is none of those.

There was a good build up for the suspense of the novel and a great inclusion of a good number of characters, any number of whom could have reason to have killed the reporter. For me it did get a bit to busy at times with some stories overlapping but for the most part I was able to keep it all on track. I would have liked to see Marsha be a bit more firm with her ex and some others that seem to walk all over her but maybe that is in keeping with her peacekeeping nature. I thought in the end she was a bit harsher with Sam than she needed to be considering how she let others treat her but, again, perhaps this was her finally taking a stand.

My one caveat is that the book is quite long and I don't necessarily think that all scenes were necessary for this storyline and one didn't even wrap up as far as I'm concerned. Having said that, however, they maybe necessary to further the series and I may find what I'm looking for in a further book. I hope so. My point on this, mostly, is that I think this would be easier to read in print so if you can buy the print version I suggest doing so.

In the end I think P.G. Forte has created a unique world in Oberon, one I'm interested in exploring again. I did not read the first book in this series but this one was perfectly capable of standing alone. If the rest of the books are like this then I suspect the author has created a winning series.
four cat review at Wild Child Publishing.com

Rating: 4 cats.

Labels: