Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Dangerous Games, Review for Romance Divas


Dangerous Games by Lora Leigh

St. Martin’s Paperback, February 2007

Morganna Chavez has been running after Clint McIntyre since she was a toddler. She saw past his icy Navy Seal exterior to the man underneath. Clint, on the other hand, had been running from Morganna since her teens, since he saw through to the woman she would become and the danger to his heart.


Clint is cold as steel and no one will stand in his way. He wants to protect Morganna from life, as only a surrogate big brother should, but when he finds out she is working in dangerous territory he’s not sure he can. Morganna is set to prove she’s made her own life and she’s a big girl. She doesn’t need Clint or anyone to protect her, she can do it herself.

When both Clint and Morganna end up in a high stakes game of hide and seek with a maniac, in an investigation of a date-rape drug, their close encounters are a little hotter than either anticipated, in more ways than one. Will they make it out alive? And will either risk their heart to the only one who can shatter it?

Dangerous Game by Lora Leigh is a fast-paced, high tension romantic suspense that is adventurous in many ways. To be honest there are elements in this book that disturb me and that would have probably made me not choose this book, had they been mentioned in the blurb. I think the blurb is a little deceiving and perhaps that was the point, I’m not sure. This book enters the world of BDSM and while mostly using fringe clubs and probably not really getting in too deeply it is not something I am comfortable with. I am not familiar with this author or her style so have no idea if this is the norm for her; however, the author’s note in the book does talk about the setting and her dominant hero theme for this new series she calls Tempting SEAL’s.

I gravitate towards romantic suspense and this book sounded perfect. I got a bit more than that. However, I was able to put my discomfort aside and read the book because the suspense storyline was very good, if paced a bit fast at times. There was a lot going on but the author handled it adeptly and I think the backtstory for Clint was especially well done. It showed us why he had become the man he had, why he made the decisions he did and why he was called the iceman. I think the heroine was completely suited to him and the author did a great job building the layers of their relationship.

If you are looking for a thrill ride of action, adventure and suspense with over-the-top erotic romance thrown in then Dangerous Games is the one for you. Despite my reluctance with the BDSM theme I am eager to read the next in this series, as Ms. Leigh has created a world and characters where you just need to know what happens next. I need to know what happens next and to whom.

I give it 4 kisses.

Labels: